Jun 14, 2021
UK’s Sally Morgan authors book on organic-style vegetable gardening
A new book on organic-style home gardening is due out this fall from Chelsea Green Publishing and Sally Morgan.
The author is the editor of Soil Association’s Organic Farming magazine in the UK and writes regularly for gardening magazines.
The Healthy Vegetable Garden goes on sale Sept. 9.
“Expert organic gardener Sally Morgan shows how to use natural approaches to help your green space thrive, using principles from regenerative gardening, agroecology, permaculture and more,” according to a news release from Chelsea Green Publishing. “Whether you’re a passionate gardener or homesteader, this practical guide shows how to naturally manage pests and diseases without the use of harmful chemicals, creating healthy, resilient soil to grow nutrient-rich, delicious crops.”
According to the news release, the book explains how to:
- Combat disease and keep pests at bay with natural predators, companion planting and trap and barrier crops
- Choose the right plants to attract pollinators and predators.
- Build a healthy soil full of organic matter, earthworms and mycorrhizal fungi.
- Regenerate soil through no-dig practices, composting, cover crops and mulching.
- Boost biodiversity through the use of companion planting and polyculture.
- Rewild your garden by creating a range of habitats and making use of walls and fences, log piles, water features and wild corners.
- Work with your plants by discovering the ways that they naturally defend themselves.
- Make natural barriers, traps and lures.
- Familiarize yourself with common pests and disease so you know how to react quickly.